Engraving is a process of incising a unique design, image, or letters on hard material using special equipment. Engraving is often used to print plates, metal, or other hard substances. There are different types of engraving available. Headstone engraving is a common type of engraving.
Let’s know what headstone engraving is? When engraving is done on different types of headstones, it is referred to as headstone engraving. It is a smart process of carving designs or inscriptions on headstones. It is also used to incise images, names, or symbols on a particular headstone.
Headstone engraving is done using smart devices. There are different techniques used in headstone engraving. Different forms of engraving are done on the headstone that includes names, pictures, images, letters, symbols, etc. Each has its costs. Different things may change the costs involved in headstone engraving. Let’s know How Much Does It Cost To Engrave A Headstone?
How Much Does It Cost To Engrave A Headstone?
Without knowing the essential details, it is almost impossible to analyze the final cost of engraving a headstone. Several factors are essential to consider for deciding the final cost of the headstone.
Various factors that affect the engraving costs of headstones are:
- Form of engraving used: The main factor that could affect the engraving cost is the form of engraving used. Several options include laser-etched engraving, sandblasted engraving or hand-cut engraving, etc.
- Details of engraving: There are different details used in engraving. It may include the finer details, different finishes, inlays, and different fonts. Each may change the final cost of engraving a headstone.
- Length of inscription: The higher the length of the inscription, the more is the final cost of headstone engraving.
- The designs: The cost is also based on designs used in engraving. The photos, different images, and carvings may change the engraving costs.
- Type of stone: There are different stones used in headstone engraving. The total cost of the engraving may also change with the stone used in engraving. Black granite is the most suitable type of stone used for headstone engraving.
- Cost-effective: If you wish to get an affordable headstone engraving option, it is better to use granite stone with a short laser etched inscription. For cheap headstone engraving, one must go with black granite headstone engraving with minimum inlays and no photographs.
How do you decide the final costs of headstone engraving?
When you wish to decide the final costs of the headstone engraving, you must know the costs associated with different designs of headstone engraving. It may include:
- Cost of the basic headstone: The basic installation of the headstone may range from $200 to $850.
- Costs of death date: If you wish to get only the date of death on the headstone, the costs may vary between $300 to $375
- Cost of the picture: The amount may vary with the image used. The traditional photo may cost less, and the ceramic or porcelain photo may cost a little more. On average, the costs of printed pictures may range between $150 to $400
- Costs of the cemetery: After successful completion of headstone engraving, the final installation of the headstone is also chargeable. The costs may vary between $100 to $250.
What are the basic steps to get engraving done?
Headstone engraving is a complete process. The headstone engraving process is:
- Choosing the right type of headstone monument: You need to decide the type of monument you wish for a headstone engraving. It can be flat or upright.
- Next is to select the right type of stone for engraving: One can choose between different types of stones. Granite is the most common type of headstone used for engraving. Another is marble, which is also often used for engraving. People also choose quartzite for long-lasting engraving.
- Next, you need to check the cemetery: You need to select the best cemetery for perfect headstone engraving.
- Now check the best prices: Many companies provide different headstone engraving services at different prices. It is always better to know the prices of different companies and select the best company after proper comparison.
- Get a proof shot: After you place an order for headstone engraving at a particular company, they will share a proof shot with you when they start the process of engraving. It is also good to visit the place once or twice to monitor the headstone engraving process.
- Final approval: After completing headstone engraving, your approval is essential. After you are satisfied with the final headstone engraving, it will be delivered to you.
- Installation: Next, you need to select an installation company. The final step is to ensure the installation of the final headstone at a particular site. There are extra costs involved in this installation.
What are the different types of headstone engraving?
The costs of headstone engraving may also vary with the methods used in engraving. There are three types of headstone engraving techniques.
- Sandblasting engraving – The cost of the sandblasting engraving may vary between $600 to $750.
- Hand etching engraving – The cost of Hand etching engraving may cost you $800.
- Laser etching engraving – The cost of Laser etching engraving may vary between $400 to $600.
What are the average costs of headstone engraving?
It is already clear that headstone engraving depends on various factors. The main costs of headstone engraving highly depend on the headstone chosen for engraving. The final engraving cost will automatically increase when the headstone cost is higher.
Deciding the exact budget for headstone engraving is impossible. One could only have a general idea of the total costs of headstone engraving. The total costs depend on the incision, pictures, images, letters, numbers, etc.
One may end up spending an amount of $500 – $ 1500 approximately for a fine headstone engraving that includes approximately 20 characters. Extra wording or numbers may increase the final cost. Incisions such as images may add up to the final costs of headstone engraving.
Headstone engraving is a perfect way to remember your loved ones. It was common practice to remember your loved ones by putting a headstone engraving at the time of their funeral. It is a way to honor your near and dear ones.
There are various options available for headstone engraving. You must choose the best quality headstone for engraving so that they stay as a memory with your loved ones for a long. It is also important that you choose the best company to get it done.
You got my attention when you said that you could pay more for headstone engraving when the inscription is longer. This is a good tip for my mother so she can be financially ready when paying for a custom stonework service. She is planning to have an engraved headstone to be installed on my father’s grave, and it is important for her to ensure that his favorite quote is going to be engraved.